Global Fintech: Financial Innovation in a Connected World, edited by David L. Shrier and Professor Alex 'Sandy' Pentland, has been selected as a winner of the Outstanding Academic Title Award from Choice, 2022.
Choice is a publishing unit of the Association of College and Research Libraries, a division of the American Library Association. Each December, it publishes a list of Outstanding Academic Titles, selecting from the best scholarly titles, both print and digital, that it reviewed during the previous year. Out of some 5,000 or works reviewed each year, only about 10 percent will be selected for this list.
In naming a work an Outstanding Academic Title, the editors apply several criteria:
- Overall excellence in presentation and scholarship
- Importance relative to other literature in the field
- Distinction as a first treatment of a given subject in book or electronic form
- Originality or uniqueness of treatment
- Value to undergraduate students
- Importance in building undergraduate library collections
David L. Shrier is a Professor of Practice (AI and Innovation) with Imperial College Business School. He is coeditor of New Solutions for Cybersecurity (MIT Press).
Alex 'Sandy' Pentland is the head of the Media Lab's Human Dynamics research group and director of MIT Connection Science. Called one of the “seven most powerful data scientists in the world” by Forbes, he has co-founded more than a dozen companies and is the author of Social Physics and coauthor of Building the New Economy (MIT Press).