To provide varied and complex administrative support to Professor Neri Oxman and the diverse group of individuals comprising the Mediated Matter research group.
• Prepare and manage all financial aspects of group, e.g., requisitions, reimbursements, procurement card, purchasing, working with vendors, work orders, account management/reconciliation, coordinate annual budget with the PI etc.;
• Monthly review of all financial reporting; use of tools to update financials on a weekly basis, report to the Principal Investigator (PI) regularly on the state of the finances;
• Work with the finance and development functions at department and School level to allocate grants, sponsored research, and individual donor funds;
• Process travel reimbursements for professor and students;
Calendar, travel, and communications
• Manage and coordinate professor’s calendar requiring regular contact with high-level staff across Institute, arts and industry (corporate sponsors), and management; complex scheduling between national and international constituents;
• Plan, organize, and prepare detailed travel and complex itineraries and obtaining visas for professor, and assist students with travel arrangements;
• Facilitate communication between students and professor and be the locus of information for students related to group activities, travel, purchasing, etc.;
• Onboard new group members, e.g. provide general information about the research team, orientation guide, resource manual, IP agreements, introductions to faculty, staff, and students;
• Work with the PI to create strategic internal and external partnerships by handling regular correspondence and maintaining relationships;
• Maintain contact information for all team members;
• Engage with colleagues, press, sponsors, collaborators, and visitors in person, by email or telephone to build relationships and triage inquiries.
Exhibitions, meetings and events
• Foster connections and facilitate communications with museum curators;
• Work with museums to generate loan agreements between PI and curator;
• Meet with researchers to outline project tasks, review resources (budget + materials), and prepare for exhibitions;
• Coordinate meetings and events to include logistics, room reservations, catering, set up and clean up;
• Facilitate research group logistics, including working with research assistants to develop project timelines;
• Work closely with PI with regard to hiring, managing, and supervising student workers, temporary workers and contractors;
• Work with ML HR and PI to coordinate hiring of regular staff;
• Update the research group website.
Administrative and academic
• Prepare and edit documents; handle other general office duties as needed;
• Establish and maintain effective organization for administrative tasks for the group, e.g. coordinate research demos, arrange meetings, catering, etc.;
• Provide support for academic activities, deadlines, research assistant (student) activities (theses, research papers, etc.), monitor undergraduate student researchers (UROPs) (timesheets, contact, resource, etc.);
• Other duties as assigned.
• A minimum of three years of experience as an administrative assistant for senior managers;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written;
• Keen understanding of the administrative support role;
• Flexibility and an aptitude for handling a wide variety of duties;
• Confidential, exercises discretion, diplomacy, and superb judgment;
• Extremely detail-oriented, accurate, and resourceful individual who is able to work on multiple tasks concurrently with calm efficiency in an environment with competing priorities;
• Ability to learn quickly and work with critical time demands and responsive;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Advanced computer skills including proficiency with Macintosh computers and Microsoft Office;
• Must be a team player who is able to work effectively with a creative and diverse group of people and contribute to each research group’s community.
• Familiarity with website maintenance (HTML), SAPgui, and Concur;
• An interest in arts administration is desirable.
To apply, go to careers.mit.edu and search for job ID #15187.
Find open positions at MIT by career area, location, full- or part-time, keyword and more.